Flights to Los Angeles, California, USA
Los Angeles always comes to mind when one is planning a holiday to California or the United States of America. The city is an entertaining mix of cultures that brings with it some museums showcasing amazing art collections, neighbourhoods lined with striking architecture and an eclectic mix of different cuisines.
The Los Angeles area is served mainly by three airports:
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) – This is busiest and largest airport in the state of California as well as one of the United States’ largest international airports. Located approximately 29 kilometres from the Los Angeles city centre, a taxi ride will cost USD95-120 (MYR408-516) and take about 20 minutes’ travel time. Taking an airport shuttle will be a cheaper option at USD16-75 (MYR69-322) and will take as long as a taxi ride. Several major airlines operate out of the airport including Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Air China, Cathay Pacific and EVA Air.
- Burbank Airport (BUR) – Officially known as Bob Hope Airport and branded as Hollywood Burbank Airport, it is located approximately 24 kilometres from the Los Angeles city centre. A taxi ride from Bob Hope Airport to the city centre will take around 17 minutes and cost between USD80-100 (MYR344-430). A cheaper option would be to take the train for USD6-35 (MYR26-150) taking 24 minutes’ travel time. Airlines that operate from this airport include Southwest Airlines, United, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and Delta.
- Long Beach Municipal Airport (LGB) – Serving both Los Angeles and the Orange counties, the Long Beach Airport is approximately 41 kilometres from the Los Angeles city centre. It takes around 28 minutes of travel time by taxi and may cost between USD130-170 (MYR559-731). Cheaper transportation options are available such as an airport shuttle for USD16-75 (MYR69-322) with the same travel time. Airlines operating out of this airport include JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, American Airlines, Delta and Emirates.
Cheap Los Angeles Flights
Skyscanner, as a travel search engine, provides travellers with an easy and quick way to compare flights and ticket prices across hundreds of trusted airlines and online travel agents.
If you are not set yet on your travel dates, try out Skyscanner’s ‘cheapest month' feature. This feature allows you to view flight prices across a whole month or year. With this feature, you will know when the best time to book your flights will be. Just select the ‘whole month' option on the date selector and then click on the ‘cheapest month' option.
Found your flight but not ready to book just yet? Sign up for Price Alerts to get updated whenever the airfare changes.
Best Time to Visit Los Angeles
Los Angeles has a Mediterranean climate which locals and tourists alike will enjoy because of its mild-to-warm weather throughout the year. The city has an average high temperature of 24 degrees Celsius and an average low of 13 degrees Celsius. It is a destination that can be enjoyed year-round.
However, it is recommended that the best time to visit Los Angeles will be from March to May or September to November. The temperature during these months is milder and ideal for outdoor activities. You will also see less crowd during these months.
The months of June to August is considered to be the peak travel season. During this season, not only are the flight and accommodation rates high, but the temperature can also get stifling and smog levels high. Even so, it can still be an option if you don't want to miss some of the key events happening such as the LA Film Festival in June and Nisei Week Japanese Festival in August.
The winter months of December through February, while not best, is also a great time to visit Los Angeles. It can get wet with frequent rain showers, but it will be a less chilly winter compared to other major cities in the United States. Because of being a low travel period, flights and accommodations will be more reasonable during this time. Also, if you want some celebrity sightings, this may be the best time as it will be awards season with the Golden Globes in January and the Grammy and Academy Awards both in February.
Things to do in Los Angeles
There are many sights to see and things to experience while in Los Angeles. Here are a few recommendations:
- Getty Center – Home of J. Paul Getty Museum, it is also popular for its great architecture, lush gardens and will afford visitors an incredible view of the city skyline.
- Universal Studios Hollywood – A sprawling theme park and film studio located in Universal City. It is one of the most famous as well as the oldest film studios still in use to this day.
- Griffith Park – Covering 4,310 acres of land area, it is one of North America's largest urban parks. Inside the park, you can find various attractions such as the Greek Theatre, Griffith Observatory and Los Angeles Zoo.
If you are looking to take a day or two away from Los Angeles, book a weekend getaway to Santa Barbara, Laguna Beach, La Jolla or any other unique towns in California.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Los Angeles International
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.