Flights to London, England
London is a city on everyone's travel bucket list and why shouldn't it be? London offers a broad range of activities and sights that would entertain any traveller to the fair city. From famous landmarks such as the Buckingham Palace and Big Ben to excellent shopping on Bond Street or Harrods to enjoying the vibrant nightlife with traditional pubs, hip bars and popular musical theatre shows – there's always something for anyone.
London is served by several airports:
- London Heathrow Airport (LHR) – This airport is a major international airport in London and the world’s busiest airport by international passenger traffic. It is located 23 kilometres from Central London. A taxi ride from the airport can be expensive costing GBP110-140 (MYR603-767) and take approximately 55 minutes of travel time. It is best to take the London Underground for GBP6-8 (MYR33-44) or the Heathrow Express for GBP22-32 (MYR121-175). The train or tube will take longer with almost 2-and-a-half-hour travel time while the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station will only take 15 minutes' travel time. Several airlines operate out of Heathrow Airport including Malaysia Airlines, British Airways, Singapore Airlines, Korean Air and ANA (All Nippon Airways).
- London Gatwick Airport (LGW) – Also a major international airport in London, it is located 47 kilometres from Central London. A taxi ride from this airport is even more expensive between GBP160-200 (MYR877-1,096). The journey time would take approximately 50 minutes. For a cheaper option, the train costs GBP19-26 (MYR104-143) with a travel time of about an hour and a half. The airlines that operate out of this airport include Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Turkish Airlines, EasyJet and Ryanair.
- London City Airport (LCY) – An international airport located 11 kilometres east of London and 18 kilometres from Central London. A taxi ride from London City Airport to the city centre would cost GBP35-45 (MYR192-247) and take approximately 22 minutes of travel time. Airlines operating out of this airport include KLM, Lufthansa, SWISS, British Airways and Alitalia.
- London Luton Airport (LTN) – An international airport located 47 kilometres from Central London, a taxi ride from this airport will also be costly from GBP160-200 (MYR877-1,096). The journey will take at least an hour of travel time. Again, taking the train will be a cheaper option at GBP24-33 (MYR132-181) and a travel time of almost 2 hours. Mostly low-cost carriers operate in this airport including Vueling Airlines, EasyJet, Wizz Air and Ryanair.
- London Stansted Airport (STN) – An international airport located 48 kilometres from Central London, a taxi ride from this airport will take around 50 minutes and cost GBP160-200 (MYR877-1,096). The cheaper alternative is to take the train for GBP29-35 (MYR159-192) or bus for GBP11-16 (MYR60-88). Both options would take approximately 1 hour and 35 minutes’ travel time. Airlines operating out of this airport include Air France, Flybe and EasyJet.
- London Southend Airport (SEN) – Another international airport in London, it is located in Rochford, 68 kilometres from Central London. A taxi ride from this airport will cost approximately GBP120-150 (MYR658-822) and take around 43 minutes’ travel time. Again, cheaper options would be taking the train for GBP17-24 (MYR93-132) with a travel time of around an hour and 30 minutes. Airlines operating flights out of Southend Airport include Pegasus Airlines, Ryanair, Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines.
Cheap London Flights
Skyscanner, as a travel search engine, helps travellers find the best possible flight for a holiday in London. Search and compare across hundreds of trusted airlines and online travel agents to get the cheapest airfare.
If you’re not sure when to fly to London, use Skyscanner’s ‘cheapest month’ feature to find the cheapest time to book a flight. View flight prices across a whole month by selecting ‘whole month’ on the date selector above and clicking on the ‘cheapest month’ option.
Best Time to Visit London
London is a year-round destination. The city has a mild climate with rarely extreme weather conditions. The best time to visit London would depend on what you want to see and do while in the city.
The spring months of March to May will see an average temperature of 11-15 degrees Celsius. Daylight will be longer these months, so you'll have time to see a lot of the sights. Be sure to keep an umbrella handy as rain showers are common. Also, bear in mind that Easter happens during the Spring so it might get crowded during the holiday.
June through August are the summer months in London. This period is an excellent time to visit, but the weather can get warm averaging 18-30 degrees Celsius. However, this is the perfect season to take advantage of outdoor activities such as strolling through public gardens and attending outdoor shows and music festivals. The summer months are also peak travel season so be sure to book your flights and accommodation in advance.
The month of September to November is a beautiful period to visit the city with the autumn colours decorating the city and mild weather averaging 11-15 degrees Celsius. There are many events to watch out for during this season including Halloween festivities and the Totally Thames Festival.
Lastly, the winter months of December to February can get chilly averaging 2-6 degrees Celsius. However, weather should not be a deterrent for your travels as the city can be bustling during the Christmas season, and there are many holiday activities to experience as well as gorgeous holiday decorations to feast your eyes upon.
Things to do in London
There are so many sights to see, activities to do and things to experience while you are on vacation in London. Here are some of the few highlights:
- Buckingham Palace – The administrative headquarters and London residence of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II. Time your visit for the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace to see the pomp and pageantry of the tradition.
- Tower of London – Officially known as Her Majesty’s Royal Palace and Fortress of the Tower of London, this complex is a historic castle located right beside the iconic Tower Bridge. The famous Tower Clock, Big Ben, is also just a stone’s throw away.
- London Eye – Also known as the Millennium Wheel, it is located on the South Bank of River Thames. It is a giant Ferris wheel, 443 feet tall and 394 feet in diameter, showcasing a beautiful view of the city when you reach the top. It was also the tallest Ferris wheel in the world from 1999 to 2006.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near London
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.