Flights to Kansas City, Kansas
Kansas City, located in the state of Kansas in the United States of America, is the third largest city in the state. The city is located in the state's eastern region bordering the state of Missouri. It is popularly known as the home of NASCAR which races at the Kansas Speedway. However, Kansas City offers more than cars and speedways. It is a city full of history with cultural institutions such as the National World War I Museum and Memorial as well as a booming food scene and craft beer culture.
Kansas City is served by three airports:
- Kansas City International Airport (MCI) – Originally named the Mid-Continental International Airport, it is a public airport located approximately 28 kilometres away from the city centre. A taxi ride would cost around USD45-55 (MYR190-240) from the airport to the city centre with a travel time of about 19 minutes. There are cheaper alternatives to get to the city centre such as taking the airport shuttle for USD16-75 (MYR65-310) with a travel time of about 19 minutes or getting on a bus for USD2 (MYR7) with a travel time of approximately 43 minutes. There are currently no direct flights from Malaysia to Kansas City Airport. Airlines that operate flights in this airport include Delta, Southwest Airlines, American Airlines, United and Alaska Airlines.
- Kansas City Downtown Airport (MKC) – Officially named the Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport, it is a public airport owned by the city. The airport is located approximately 6 kilometres from the city centre. A taxi from the airport to the city centre would only cost around USD10-13 (MYR45-55) and take about 4 minutes’ travel time. There are also no direct flights from Malaysia to the Downtown Airport. Currently, only one commercial passenger airline operates from this airport which is United.
- Kansas City Johnson Industrial Airport (JCI) – A joint civil-military airport, it is currently named New Century AirCenter. It was formerly known as the Johnson County Industrial Airport, Naval Air Station Olathe and Flatley Field. This airport is located approximately 45 kilometres from the city centre. A taxi to the city centre from the airport would take about 35 minutes and cost around USD70-90 (MYR310-370). A cheaper alternative would be to take the bus for USD2 (MYR7) with a travel time of about 54 minutes. There are currently no commercial passenger airlines operating in this airport.
Cheap Kansas City Flights
As a travel search engine, Skyscanner provides a quick and easy way for users to search and compare flights and air tickets from hundreds of trusted airline and online travel airlines. Try now and find the best flights to Kansas City for your budget.
Not set on when to book your travel? Learn how to use Skyscanner’s cheapest month feature to find the best time to book your trip. Just select the ‘whole month' option on the date selector found on the search panel above and then click on the ‘cheapest month' button. Not ready to book just yet? Sign up for our Price Alerts and get email updates when your flight’s price changes.
Best Time to Visit Kansas City
The best time to visit Kansas City would be during the summer season or fall months.
During the summer months of June to September, the weather can get hot and be stifling with temperatures averaging 26 to 32 degrees Celsius. However, this does not stop tourists from flocking to the city and catching a baseball game in Kauffman Stadium or just simply enjoying the summer days around the city. However, flight prices and hotel rates can be steep during his period.
Meanwhile autumn in Kansas City, from September to December, can see more tolerable weather with temperatures averaging 5 to 26 degrees Celsius dropping to lower temperatures in December. Some events not to be missed during this season include the Kansas City Renaissance Festival in September and October as well as the Louisburg Ciderfest in September.
Spring season from March to June is also a popular time to visit Kansas City. Temperatures during this period averaged between 11 to 28 degrees Celsius. If you choose to travel during this season, don’t miss the Kansas City St. Patrick’s Day Parade in March or NASCAR in May.
The winter season in Kansas City from late-December to early-March will bring chilly weather. Temperatures average between 5 to 10 degrees Celsius during this period. While this is not the best time to visit, there are still many activities and events to entertain during this season such as the Christmas in the Park at Longview Lake in December or Mardi Gras in February.
Things to do in Kansas City
There are many things to do and sights to see in Kansas City. Here are a few of the top tourist attractions in Kansas City:
- Strawberry Hill Museum and Cultural Center – A museum commemorating the city’s history as well as the many nationalities of residents living in Kansas City. It is housed in a historical and beautiful Victorian house. The museum is only open on weekends from noon up to 5 in the afternoon.
- Grinter Place – A beautiful American-Colonial house listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1857 as a private home until 1950, it was then a chicken dinner restaurant until it was closed in the mid-1960’s. It was then bought by the state of Kansas in 1971. The place operates from May to October and is open from Wednesday to Saturday at 10 am to 5 pm.
- Old Quindaro Museum – A local museum that showcases cultural and historical awareness as well as preserves the importance of the African American Community of Quindaro. The museum exhibits traditional shackles and items from the community.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Kansas City
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.