Flights to San Diego, United States
San Diego is a city in the state of California in the United States. A major city in San Diego County, it is located on the coast of the Pacific Ocean along Southern California. It is also the eighth-largest city in the United States. While San Diego has not been top of mind for travellers when planning a trip to California, it has since been growing in popularity. San Diego has more to offer its visitors besides the always-popular beach and San Diego Zoo. It is rich in history and culture being the ‘birthplace’ of California. It also has a bustling nightlife as can be experienced at the Gaslamp Quarter and thriving food scene where one must try the popular local snack, the fish taco.
San Diego is served by two airports:
- San Diego International Airport (SAN) – Previously known as the Lindbergh Field, it is an international airport located approximately 5 kilometres from the city centre. A taxi ride from the airport to the city centre would cost around USD15-19 (MYR65-85) and take about 5 minutes of travel time. A cheaper alternative would be to take a public bus for USD1-3 (MYR7-11) for 16 minutes’ travel time. There are currently no airlines offering direct flights from Malaysia to San Diego International Airport. Other airlines flying to this San Diego Airport include Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines and British Airways.
- McClellan-Palomar Airport (CLD) – Also known simply as Palomar Airport, it is a public airport located in Carlsbad which is approximately 55 kilometres from the city centre of San Diego. A taxi from Palomar airport to San Diego’s city centre would be costly at USD110-150 (MYR500-600) and take about 39 minutes of travel time. A cheaper alternative would be to take the train for USD4 (MYR16) but with a travel time of 2 hours and 27 minutes. Currently, there are no commercial passenger airlines operating flights to and from this airport. Only charter and air taxi companies are operating at the Palomar Airport.
Cheap San Diego Flights
Skyscanner, a travel search engine, provides users with a way to search and compare flights to San Diego. Quickly find the best flights from hundreds of trusted airlines and online travel agents with a simple search in the search control above.
Not set on your travel dates? Use Skyscanner to view prices across a month or even a year to find the cheapest time to go to San Diego. Start now by selecting the "whole month" option on the date selector above and then clicking on the "cheapest month" button. If you have found the best flight for your next holiday but not ready to book just yet, sign up for our Price Alerts, so you will get updates on your flight’s price changes.
Best Time to Visit San Diego
There are two periods in a year which can be considered as the best time to visit San Diego. The spring season from March to May is recommended as one of the best times to travel to San Diego. The weather is mild during this period averaging between 19 to 21 degrees Celsius but can drop between 12 to 15 degrees Celsius at night. Spring is not peak travel season, so there are fewer crowds to expect but will still be enjoyable with some major events such as the Coronado Flower Show in April and the Fiesta Cinco de Mayo in May.
Autumn season from September to November is the other option for the best time to holiday in San Diego. Coming off the summer season, September will be the warmest month and may well be a more crowded compared to October and November as tourists can linger from their summer holidays to soak up the last of the warm sunny weather. So if you’re looking to avoid the tourist crowds and take advantage of cheaper flights and lower room rates, then it is best to visit between October to November. Some events happening in this season include the Miramar Air Show in September and the San Diego Bay Wine and Food Festival in November.
The months of June, July and August comprise the summer season in San Diego. It is also considered to be the peak travel period for the city thanks to the warm weather averaging between 22 to 25 degrees Celsius. There are also major events happening in summer to draw in, even more, tourist crowds such as the San Diego Country Fair in June and July, Comic-Con in July and the San Diego International Beer Festival in June. Expect higher travel rates during this period.
Winter season, from December to February, in San Diego is not the typical winter compared to central and eastern cities of the United States. Average temperatures during the season are at 19 degrees Celsius during daytime and between 9 to 10 degrees Celsius at night. If you're planning to hit the beach, this may not be the best time to book your travel. It also considered being the wettest months of the year. However, there are still some events to keep you entertained during winter season such as the San Diego Bay Parade of Lights in December and the San Diego Museum Month in February.
Things to do in San Diego
There are plenty of activities from water sports to nature hikes as well as sights to see in San Diego. Here are some of the more popular tourist spots in San Diego:
- Balboa Park – A multi-attraction park covering over 1,200 acres of land. It is home to 17 museums, several gardens and walking paths, some theatres as well as the popular San Diego Zoo. The park features buildings and structures built in different architectural styles from Spanish Colonial Revival to Pueblo Revival.
- San Diego Zoo – Located in the Balboa Park, the San Diego Zoo is a zoo, safari park and wildlife conservation facility. It covers a land area of 100 acres providing ample space for housing over 3,700 animals across over 650 species and sub-species. It is open daily from 9 am to 9 pm.
- USS Midway Museum – A maritime museum located at the Navy Pier, it consists of the CV-41 aircraft carrier Midway. The aircraft carrier is home to an extensive collection of restored aircraft and showcases life-at-sea exhibits and flight simulators. It is open daily from 10 am to 5 pm.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near San Diego
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.