Flights to Frankfurt, Germany
Frankfurt is the largest city in Hesse, the German state where it is located, and Germany's fifth largest city. It is one of the major financial centres in Europe where it is the home of some of the world's biggest banks and financial institutions. It is also a global hub for commerce, education and transportation. As such, Frankfurt usually welcomes business travellers to their city. However, there is more to enjoy in Frankfurt beyond business. The city is serviced by two main airports:
- Frankfurt am Main Airport (FRA) – Also known as Rhein-Main-Flughafen in German or simply Frankfurt Airport; it is 12 kilometres south-west of Frankfurt's city centre. A taxi from the airport to the city centre would take around 12-15 minutes and cost approximately EUR28-35 (MYR135-168). Some of the airlines that operate out of Frankfurt Airport include Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, Lufthansa and British Airways.
- Frankfurt-Hahn Airport (HHN) – This international airport is located between the cities of Frankfurt and Luxembourg. It is 120 kilometres from the city centre of Frankfurt. A taxi ride from the Frankfurt-Hahn Airport to the city centre can take approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes and cost EUR224 (MYR1,075). Because of the distance and costly fare, most travellers take the shuttle bus or trains which can cost between EUR6-35 (MYR29-168) but can take as long as 2 hours and 40 minutes. The airlines that operate out of Hahn Airport are low-cost airlines Ryanair and Wizz Air.
Cheap Frankfurt Flights
Skyscanner is a travel search engine that helps travellers search for the best flights and get cheap Frankfurt airfares. Find the cheapest flights across hundreds of trusted airlines and online travel agents with Skyscanner.
Not yet set on your travel dates and want to get the best possible flight for cheap? Learn how to view flight prices across a whole month or year. Simply select the ‘whole month’ option under the date selector in the search box above and then click on ‘cheapest month’ to find out when the cheapest fares are available.
Best Time to Visit Frankfurt
The best time to visit Frankfurt is during the spring and summer months of April through early September which is also the peak travel seasons. The weather during these months is lovely averaging 12-13 degrees Celsius with April being cooler with a daily average of 8 degrees Celsius just coming off from the winter season. At the other end, late September starts to get cooler as well going into the autumn season with a daily average of 12 degrees Celsius. The summer months of July and August are the warmest months averaging 16 degrees Celsius. The rainiest months are May, July and December.
Spring and summer are filled with events such as the Spring Dippemess in April, Wäldchestag and Opera Square Festival in June, Main Festival, Apple Wine Festival and the Museum Embankment Festival in August as well as the Rheingau Wine Festival and Autumn Dippemess in September. While winter might not be the best time to visit Frankfurt, the Christmas Market from November to December is a great event to experience.
Things to do in Frankfurt
Frankfurt is home to some of the most beautiful cultural buildings and historical spots. Here are some of the top things to do in Frankfurt:
- Römer – Located in Altstadt in Frankfurt am Main, it is a medieval building and one of the most important landmarks in the city.
- Goethe House – The birthplace of German writer and statesman Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. A tour of this house will showcase period interiors and educational exhibitions.
- Naturmuseum Senckenberg – Germany’s second largest museum of natural history showcasing an extensive collection of dinosaur fossils and is said to have Europe’s largest exhibition of large dinosaurs.
If you are looking to spend a day or two outside Frankfurt, some of the recommended destinations are Mainz which is an old town located on Rhine River with old-fashioned market squares and half-timbered houses or Heidelberg on the Neckar River for its gothic churches and the popular Heidelberg Castle.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Frankfurt
Frequently asked questions
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.