Flights to Philadelphia, United States
Philadelphia is the largest city in the state of Pennsylvania in the United States. It is also the United States’ sixth-most populated city. There are many reasons to visit this ‘City of Brotherly Love’ – a literal meaning of the city name in Greek – from arts and culture to history and architecture. It is considered to be one of the most historic cities in the United States of America.
Two airports serve the city of Philadelphia:
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) – Often referred to just by its IATA code, PHL, the Philadelphia International Airport is the largest airport in the state of Pennsylvania and is a major airport in the city. It is located approximately 15 kilometres from the city centre. A taxi to the city centre from the airport would take about 13 minutes’ travel time and cost between USD45-55 (MYR190-230). There are currently no airlines flying direct from Malaysia to Philadelphia International Airport. Other airlines operating flights to this airport include American Airlines, Qatar Airways, Malaysia Airlines and British Airways.
- Philadelphia Trenton-Mercer Airport (TTN) – Previously known as the Mercer Country Airport, it is a public airport serving both Philadelphia and Trenton, New Jersey. It is located approximately 53 kilometres from the Philadelphia city centre. A taxi ride would cost between USD140-180 (MYR600-800) and take about 41 minutes of travel time. A cheaper alternative would be to take the SEPTA train for USD7-11 (MYR31-46) with a travel time of an hour and 32 minutes. The Amtrak is also available for USD23-43 (MYR102-181) for a slightly shorter travel time of one hour and 12 minutes. There are also no direct flights available from Malaysia to the Trenton-Mercer Airport. There are only two airlines currently operating flights in this airport – Allegiant Air and Frontier Airlines.
Cheap Philadelphia Flights
As a travel search engine, Skyscanner provides a quick and easy way for users to search and compare flights and air tickets from hundreds of trusted airline and online travel airlines. Try now and find the best flights to Philadelphia for your budget.
Not set on when to book your travel? Learn how to use Skyscanner’s cheapest month feature to find the best time to book your trip. Just select the ‘whole month' option on the date selector found on the search panel above and then click on the ‘cheapest month' button. Not ready to book just yet? Sign up for our Price Alerts and get email updates when your flight’s price changes.
Best Time to Visit Philadelphia
The best time to visit Philadelphia would be during the spring season which is between the months of March to May. The weather during this period gets slightly warmer coming after a cold winter and travel costs should be cheaper compared to the rest of the year. The temperature can remain slightly chilly especially in early March but will warm up towards May. This period will see an average temperature of -1 to 10 degrees Celsius around May and 12 to 21 degrees Celsius come March. Some key events to note during spring are the Philadelphia Flower Show and St. Patrick's Day Parade in March as well as the Rittenhouse Row Spring Festival in May.
The summer season from June to August is considered peak travel season for Philadelphia. This means that you should expect larger tourist crowds and higher flight prices and room rates. However, the weather during this period is perfect for travelling with an average temperature of 20 to 30 degrees Celsius. Don’t miss the Philadelphia International Children’s Festival in June, Mann Music Center Summer Concerts in July and the Philadelphia Dutch Festival in August.
The fall-winter season from September to February can be an alternative time to visit Philadelphia. September can be warmer, but it will drop to winter temperatures quickly, possibly dropping below freezing in the midst of winter season. However, if you are looking to avoid the crowds and take advantage of cheap hotel rates, then this may be the season for you. There are still plenty of events to keep you entertained such as the Philly Fringe Festival in September and Mummer's Parade in January.
Things to do in Philadelphia
There are many things to do and sights to see while vacationing in Philadelphia. Here are just a few of the highly recommended tourist spots to add to your itinerary:
- Liberty Bell – A historic symbol of American freedom, the Liberty Bell is a 2,080-pound metal bell that was last rung in 1846. It features a biblical inscription on the bell as well as the famous crack from when it was rung for the first time when it arrived in the city. Viewing of the bell is open daily from 9 am to 7 pm.
- Independence National Historical Park – Preserving the sites of the American Revolution and the founding history of the nation, this United States National Park includes the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Independence Hall, where the Declaration of Independence was signed and the Liberty Bell.
- Philadelphia Museum of Art – A favourite art museum in Philadelphia, it houses over 240,000 artefacts across 200 galleries including those from American, Asian and European origin. Some notable artwork housed in the Philadelphia Museum of Art include those of Picasso, Dalí and Metzinger.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Philadelphia
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.