Flights to Sacramento, United States
Sacramento, the capital city of the state of California in the United States, is the sixth-largest city in the state. It is situated where the Sacramento River and the American River meet in the Sacramento Valley which is in the northern part of the vast Central Valley. The city of Sacramento is known for its sunny weather, sprawling green landscapes and is home to several historical and cultural landmarks.
Two airports serve the Sacramento, California area:
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF) – Previously known as the Sacramento Metropolitan Airport, this public airport is located approximately 19 kilometres from the city centre. A taxi would cost about USD65-80 (MYR270-330) from the airport to the city centre and would take around 15 minutes of travel time. A cheaper alternative would be to take the shuttle for USD30-45 (MYR130-200) or the bus for only USD2 (MYR9) with a travel time of around 15 to 19 minutes. There are currently no direct flights from Malaysia to Sacramento International Airport. Other airlines operating flights at this airport include Southwest Airlines, American Airlines, Delta, United and Alaskan Airlines.
- Sacramento Stockton Airport (SCK) – Officially known as the Stockton Metropolitan Airport, it is a civil-military airport located approximately 88 kilometres from the city centre of Sacramento. The best way to get from the airport to the city centre would be to take the train which would have a travel time of about an hour and 16 minutes. The train ride would cost between USD42-70 (MYR180-300). A slightly cheaper alternative would be to take a bus for USD30-40 (MYR135-174) with a travel time of about an hour and 13 minutes. There are also no direct flights from Malaysia to the Stockton Airport. Currently, only one passenger airline operates flights at this airport, Allegiant Air.
Cheap Sacramento Flights
Search and find the cheapest flights to Sacramento on Skyscanner, a travel search engine that provides users with a quick and easy way to compare flight prices from hundreds of trusted airlines and online travel agents.
Have some flexibility on your dates? Travel smart with Skyscanner by using our cheapest month feature. Select the ‘whole month’ option on the date selector found on the search panel above and then click on the ‘cheapest month’ button. Found the best flight for your holiday in Sacramento but not ready to book just yet? Sign up for our Price Alerts to get email updates when the price of your flight changes.
Best Time to Visit Sacramento
The best time to visit Sacramento would be between the months of April to June or from September through November.
The period of April to June falls under spring season in Sacramento. The weather during this season is optimal for visitors who plan to do a lot of sight-seeing. Temperatures average between the highs of 22 to 31 degrees Celsius to the lows of 8 to 13 degrees Celsius. This period also sees the most events of the year such as the Sacramento Music Festival in May as well as the Sacramento Pride, Juneteenth and Farm-to-Fork Taste of Summer, all happening in June.
July to August is the peak of summer season. This period brings extreme high temperatures averaging 33 degrees Celsius during the day and 14 degrees Celsius at night so remember to pack a bottle or two of sunscreen in your luggage. The main event not to be missed during this period is the popular California State Fair in July.
The months of September to November is the autumn season in Sacramento. The weather will start to get cooler during this period making it refreshing time to plan outdoor activities. In this season, temperatures average between the highs of 18 to 31 degrees Celsius and lows of 6 to 13 degrees Celsius. If you find yourself in Sacramento at this time, don't miss the Gold Rush Days in September and the California Capital Airshow in October.
Lastly, the months of December through March is considered to be winter season in the city. However, Sacramento does not see severe winters compared to other cities and states in the country. Temperatures generally average between 12 to 18 degrees Celsius at daylight and 3 to 7 degrees Celsius at nightfall, but it should be noted that this period is considered the wettest period of the year with more rainfall.
Things to do in Sacramento
There are plenty of activities to do and sights to see while visiting Sacramento. Here are a few of highly recommended spots in the city:
- California State Railroad Museum – A popular museum among visitors and locals alike, it showcases fully restored railroad cars and locomotives. It also has a large scale mock-up of the 1867 Sierra Nevada construction that represented Donner Pass. The museum is open daily from 10 am to 5 pm.
- Old Sacramento State Historic Park – Often referred to as Old Sacramento or simply ‘Old Sac’, it is located within the Old Sacramento Historic District which is a United States National Historic Landmark District. It features over 50 historic buildings and memorials.
- Sacramento Zoo – Opened in 1927, the zoo covers a land area of 15 acres housing over 140 species including animals indigenous to the area and some endangered species. Their giraffe encounter exhibit is a popular part of the zoo. The zoo is open daily from 9 am to 4 pm.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Sacramento
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.