Flights to Tenerife, Spain
Tenerife, the largest island of the Canary Islands, is the most populous island of Spain. It is home to over 40% of the population of Canary Islands. Tenerife is one of Spain's most important and popular tourist destinations welcoming over 5 million travellers per year. Many tourists visit this beautiful island not only for its gorgeous landscape and beautiful weather but also for the carnivals. The island hosts one of the largest carnivals in the world – the Carnival of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
Tenerife is served by two airports:
- Tenerife North Airport (TFN) – Previously known as the Los Rodeos Airport, it is one of two main international airports in Tenerife. It is located approximately 56 kilometres from the city centre of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, the island’s capital. A taxi from the airport to the city centre will cost between EUR12-15 (MYR60-75) and will take about 10 minutes of travel time. A cheaper alternative would be to take the local public bus for EUR4-7 (MYR23-35) with 13 minutes’ travel time. There are currently no direct flights from Malaysia to Tenerife North Airport. Other airlines operating at this airport include Iberia, Air Europa, Vueling Airlines, Binter Canarias and American Airlines.
- Tenerife South Airport (TFS) – Formerly known as the Tenerife South-Reina Sofia Airport, it is the other main international airport in the city. It is the larger airport and Canary Islands’ second busiest airport. The airport is located approximately 64 kilometres from the Santa Cruz de Tenerife city centre. A taxi from the airport to the city centre will be costly at EUR50-60 (MYR250-310) and will take about 40 minutes of travel time. Also, a cheaper alternative would be to take the bus for EUR9-25 (MYR45-130) for just under an hour of journey time. There are also no direct flights to Tenerife South Airport from Malaysia. Other airlines flying to this airport include KLM and British Airways.
Cheap Tenerife Flights
Search and find the cheapest flights to Tenerife on Skyscanner, a travel search engine that provides users with a quick and easy way to compare flight prices from hundreds of trusted airlines and online travel agents.
Have some flexibility on your dates? Travel smart with Skyscanner by using our cheapest month feature. Select the ‘whole month’ option on the date selector found on the search panel above and then click on the ‘cheapest month’ button. Found the best flight for your holiday in Tenerife but not ready to book just yet? Sign up for our Price Alerts to get email updates when the price of your flight changes.
Best Time to Visit Tenerife
Tenerife is a year-round destination thanks to its beautiful weather. However, if you have to choose, the best time to go to Tenerife would have to be during the spring or autumn season.
The winter months of December to February is considered to be peak travel season with many Europeans looking to escape their country's cold winter months. Average temperatures during this period are ideal for those visitors ranging between 15 to 22 degrees Celsius but keep in mind that there may be rainy days as it will not be as dry as the summer season. The famous Carnival de Tenerife also happens at the end of this season, in February, which brings, even more, tourists to the island. It is best to book your flights and hotels well in advance.
Spring season from March to May is one of the best times to visit Tenerife with the weather remaining pleasant between 15 to 23 degrees but with a lot fewer tourists compared to the peak season in winter. This season is also the best period to travel if you are looking to save some money on hotel accommodation. However, it is best to remember that there may be an influx of tourists during the Easter week between March and April.
June to August is summer season in Tenerife which would also mean a crowd of younger tourists on their school holidays. This period will also see the temperatures reach the high average of 25 to 27 degrees Celsius but best for any outdoor activities as you will see little rain during the summer in Tenerife. Like winter, travel costs during this period may be more expensive compared to spring or autumn months.
Lastly, autumn months of September to November is also a good season to visit the island. This period will also see fewer tourists and crowds around the island as well as cheaper accommodation rates. The average temperature in autumn will start to cool down coming off summer season but will still be ideal for outdoor activities. Daytime temperature will range between 24 to 27 degrees Celsius and drop between 18 to 21 degrees Celsius at night. If you find yourself in Tenerife during this period, don't miss the Fiesta de San Andres in November.
Things to do in Tenerife
There are many activities to do and sights to see in the island. Here are just a few of the highly recommended tourist spots in Tenerife:
- Teide National Park – A national park that is centred on Spain’s highest mountain, Mount Teide. The park covers a land area of over 46,000 acres. It has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2007. It is also considered as one of the 12 Treasures of Spain.
- Loro Parque – Also known as Loro Park, it is a 33-acre park located on the outskirts of Puerto de la Cruz. It showcases a vast and diverse range of animal and plant species. It was built as a haven for parrots but has since welcomed other animals such as dolphins, tigers, sharks and more. The park is open daily from 8:30 am to 6:45 pm.
- Auditorio de Tenerife – An iconic structure along the Santa Cruz de Tenerife skyline, it is an auditorium and opera house used for various cultural and business events from musical performances to awards ceremonies. It is also home to the Orquesta Sinfónica de Tenerife or the Tenerife Symphony Orchestra.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Tenerife
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.