Flights to Istanbul, Turkey
Istanbul is a city with natural wonders and vibrant lifestyle. It offers travellers a wide range of activities in history and culture from great landmarks, energetic nightlife and awe-inspiring views. The city and immediate area are served by two main airports:
- Istanbul Ataturk Airport (IST) – The main international airport and biggest airport in the country. It is located 24 kilometres from the city centre. A taxi ride can take approximately 20 minutes and cost between TRY60-75 (MYR74-92). Some of the airlines that operate out of the airport include Turkish Airlines, Singapore Airlines, KLM, Saudia and ANA (All Nippon Airways).
- Istanbul Sabiha Airport (SAW) – Also known as the Sabiha Gökçen International Airport, it is located further away around 35 kilometres from central Istanbul. A taxi ride from the airport can take approximately 25 minutes and cost between TRY95-120 (MYR116-147). Airlines operating out of the Sabiha Airport are Qatar Airways, KLM and IranAir.
Cheap Istanbul Flights
Skyscanner, a travel search engine, compares flights across hundreds of trusted airlines and online travel agents to find you the best flights and cheapest tickets to Istanbul.
If you are not set on your travel dates, make the most of your holiday by finding out when is the cheapest month to book. Use Skyscanner to search for flight prices across the whole month or year. Not ready to book that flight ticket just yet? Learn how to sign up for Price Alerts to get updates when your selected flight changes the price.
Best Time to Visit Istanbul
The best time to visit Istanbul would be from the months of March to April and September to November. The weather during these months is tolerable averaging between 15 to 22 degrees Celsius. Visiting during these months also avoids the peak season of June to August and save you from high accommodation prices and crowded tourist spots. The months of December to February may be the cheapest months to visit, but the weather can turn chilly with some rainfall and snow. Average temperature can drop to -1 to 10 degrees Celsius during these months.
Istanbul also has some great festivals if you want to book your holiday around these events. Some of the popular festivals include the Istanbul Tulip Festival in March to April, Istanbul International Puppet Festival in October and Istanbul Theatre Festival in November.
Things to do in Istanbul
Istanbul has a gamut of stuff to see and activities to do. Here are some highly recommended:
- Hagia Sophia – A museum in Istanbul that was once a Greek Orthodox Christian patriarchal basilica and an imperial mosque.
- Topkapı Palace – Also known as the Seraglio, it is currently a large museum in Istanbul. It was once a large and lavish 15th-century palace housing Ottoman sultans.
- Grand Bazaar – An extensive and maze-like network of indoor bazaars or souks and market streets selling anything from leather to jewellery to gifts and souvenirs.
If you are looking to head out of Istanbul for a day or two, some of the highly recommended destinations are Princes Islands which is an archipelago off the Istanbul coast consisting of 4 large islands and five smaller ones. You can also opt to go and visit the town of Iznik or Nicaea which is popular for the Ottoman tile-making tradition.
Check out our guide on the best local restaurants to visit in Istanbul!
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Istanbul
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.